Friday, November 30, 2007

Care for a dumpster dive?

I've never dumpster dived, in till tonight. I read about it in The Frugal Gazette. I've heard other people talk about doing it. But I've never taken the plunge myself before tonight. We've grabbed free wood from a couple of local spots but thats as close as we have gotten. We live across from an auto parts store that appears to be re-modeling. They have a huge dumpster in the parking lot full of items. I suggested dh and myself go peek for goodies about 8:00 at night long after the store has closed, and later then most people would be walking on our street. We carted home a massive piece of pegboard, 2 smaller peg board pieces, a huge roll of plastic, and a weird display piece. I am quite excited about the peg board because its something we intended to buy to organize our shed. The display case has a few options it could be turned into a small shelving unit by inserting wood between the heavy wire rows, then mounted onto the wall to hold small tools. It could be hung from the ceiling so that items could be hooked onto it. Its a strange little piece but I think it will be useful. My hubby did the dumpster (really big dumpster) climbing as I am clumsy and not nearly as strong as he is. So when we went back to our house I got out the binoculars to make sure there wasn't something I could see potential in that he couldn't. There was not. lol We both felt a little strange dumpster diving but we did it somewhere we are familiar and because we stepped outside our comfort zone we scored some freebies!

3 comments:

Lylah Ledner said...

You go Girl! I and one of my daughters has learned the art of diving :-)....we've gotten way cool things at places like Pier One....so, have fun!

blessings..

CupCake said...

Oooh good idea!

Samara said...

OK, I may have to emerge from the dumpster diving closet now! I LOVE dumpster diving though I haven't actually cliber into one in years. There are many apartment complexes full of students near me and I always check their trash areas around move-out time as they abandon all kinds of nice stuff; we're talking electronics, clothes, boxes of pantry food, you name it. Usually they put the good stuff next to the dumpster, not in it. Plus it's so much fun to nab a great score!