Monday, November 26, 2007

Envy

Yesterday dh and I drove to a small semi rural area about 20 minutes from us to pick up freecycle stuff. That area is pretty much our dream area, close enough to stores to be convenient, about 30 minutes from the area's major shopping center, and probably 20 minutes to base. Its a quite area with pretty homes, old trees and plenty of land. Exactly what we want. Well i think dh would really like to be on a lake as well, but the area is very close. The whole way to the freecycle house we were quiet or occasionally sighing over a big beautiful house with tons of old growth land. It made me start to compare my little inlet house to those big beautiful houses. And my little house was coming up short. In till I remembered one simple, solid fact. I truly love my little house.

Sure it doesn't have several acres of land, or a massive house with 5 huge bedrooms, and 3 grand bathrooms. Yes we do live in the city, behind an auto parts store with not a not so nice neighborhood behind us. And yes the city has been annoying the snot out of me for the past few months, beeping and tearing things down. But i LOVE this house.

So what if our yard is not huge? I've spent the past 5 years without a yard. Theres plenty of room for a rousing game of puppy football, room for flowers to grow, and possibly a small garden. Right now its overrun with growth but that's one of the reasons we bought this house for a good price. And I really enjoy chopping away at blackberry bushes, and annoying branches. I spent 4 months taking big dog outside while he was a little puppy in a second floor apartment. I am very grateful for my fence and yard!

Yes 2 of our 3 bedrooms are small. But ours is huge! :) To me anyway. The downstairs bedroom will make a perfect nursery and fits a twin bed with room for a dresser and desk. The upstairs bedrooms is a bit smaller but it still fits a huge rabbit cage, daybed, small entertainment center and a cabinet. All 3 of our bedrooms have a view of Puget Sound.

The upstairs bathroom is tiny but that's ok all we needed was two sinks and two toilets. I've seen shows with people that have 12 kids and one toilet. No thank you! The downstairs bathroom is roomy, but the tub is small. That is just fine. I have remodel plans thought out! :)

I really, really love my kitchen. I plan to replace the linoleum at some point, get a better fridge, maybe remodel the counters but all that is stuff that can wait. I love it just the way it is.

Our living room is wonderful, i wish the table did not have to go into it but it doesn't cause a problem. Its off to one side, the living and dining areas are clearly separated. The living room has some of our best water views, and plenty of space.

In addition to that we have a small laundry/mud room with a stacked washer dryer combo, with room leftover to fit the dog's crates. Big dog's crate is so large he can curl into the back and have room leftover for another 65 pound dog. Upstairs we have a computer nook with a pretty wide hallway we're currently storing things in.

Our street is great, its quiet and currently mainly unoccipied. We have two sweet old ladies for neighbors, and occasionally our next door neighboor comes home. Our street was made into a cul-du-sac and all the power and phone lines are going under ground. The city is improving lots next to us. And the not so nice neighboor hood is behind us they dont bug us down here.

I have so much to be thankful for, and that's just my house! It doesn't include my husband, family, friends, and animals. Next time I drive past those big houses with lots of land I'll think about my 'little' house and smile. Because I love it here.

No comments: