Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Brand Loyal

I confess I used to be brand loyal. Even after i took a marketing class and learned all about brand loyalty I still had my preferences. Crest toothpaste, ragu pasta sauce, Jiff peanut butter, Caress body wash. It did not matter to me if there was a comparable brand on sale for much less, that's what I liked and that's what I bought. Wow did that cost me money! I know that when someone is frugal sometimes they have to make more of an effort to save money. For instance making granola is more work then picking up premade granola at the store. Bargain shopping, coupon clipping it all takes work. But sometimes you can save money without any extra effort. Sometimes all it takes is giving up your brand loyalty in favor of store brands or a sale brand. Maybe sometimes the brand you try is not as good as your favorite. There are a few brands of pasta sauce that I don't like but when they are extremely cheap I'll pick them up anyway. I either use them in dishes were their flavor is disguised or add a bit of spices and sugar till it tastes better. Sometimes you just have to get used to the new product. I hated any toothpaste but crest. However when money became tight and a different brand was far cheaper i couldn't justify the extra expense. Now I've adjusted and so long as the flavor is mint I'm fine. If by chance we buy something we really cant stand (like Nori, not my thing) we give it away and try a different brand. Even if you have some initial failures eventually giving up brand loyalty will be a great benefit to you.

No comments: