Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Apple Pie

Apple pie sounded yummy to me today, so I decided to make one. I don't have any apples (over due for a grocery trip) but I have a can of apple pie filling. I've never tried canned filling before, I always make it myself. I looked over a crust recipe to make sure i had all the ingredients. I don't have shortening, so i substituted butter. Well half way through the recipe it said 'add an egg' egg? what egg? I'm out of eggs! I do have soy flour which can be substituted for an egg but when we tried it in a cookie recipe it tasted gross. Don't want to try that again. Its only one egg I'll just add more water. Then it says add a tbs of vinegar. Only I'm out of that too. Ok more water. Now i cant find a pie pan! Ok simply substitute a cake pan. The recipe I used is from Living On a Dime and it says it makes 3 crusts. Not when you use a cake pan! :) I finally get the whole bottom of the cake pan covered, then I check the filling can. Oh no. It says to use 2 cans! And I'm using a 3 crust cake pan. Great. Well I've com this far right? So I dumped the filling into the pie/cake, and covered the top with the last of my 3 crust recipe. lol. Its cooling down now, smells good but who knows with an egg less, vinegar less, 3 crust, 1 can filling, cake pan, pie?

Why not simply run to the store like a normal person? Because my dh has the car. We're a two car family but one has been broken (and sitting on base!) for 4 months. I cant get up at 4:45 am to take him to work because I frequently can't fall asleep till after midnight, no matter how early i go to bed. Why not simply stop making the pie? That wouldn't be any fun would it? Sometimes my little experiments come out just fine and how would you know if a recipe works or doesnt with a missing ingredient if you dont try? Besides it gives my husband something to laugh at and tease me about later. :)

No comments: