Sunday, October 21, 2007

Family lost home in fire

A family in my husband's old command lost everything in a fire. No one was hurt, but the house burned to the ground. I don't know if they lived on base or in town. I don't even know who it is. But I do no that a man, woman, infant, and toddler lost everything yesterday. My heart aches for them. When I look around my home at the things we've acquired through the years, my heart aches more. Its not the tv I would miss. Or the couch and love seat. Its the plaque that was my beloved grandfather's. "may your horse never stumble your cinch never break, your belly never grumble and your heart never ache." Its my grandma's bronco blanket, the pictures, the plaque my mom made me promise to hang above my bed no matter how old i get 'for this child i prayed and the lord has granted me,my petition which I made to him. Therefore I have lent him to the lord; as long as he lives, he is lent to the lord." Its the pretty silver ring my dad picked out all himself. I know its wrong to treasure things, and my real fear when it comes to fire is not being able to get all the animals out on time. I'm so glad the family wasn't hurt, but i feel for their loss just the same.

So I've put together toothbrushes, tooth paste, deodorant, conditioner, soap, facial cleaner, baby powder, antacid, excedrin and a child's tooth brush. Where did I get all this? In my cupboard. I'm able to give these things without any extra cost due to couponing/refunding. What a blessing! I'm also adding several baby outfits from my foster care stock pile. None of them cost more then $2.50. I'll be able to replace them before we're able to foster. I included a baby rattle that's in its package (normally $4.99) that I got for free. A few other baby toys I've bought. A diaper bag, a new fuzzy scarf. Paper plates, bowls, cups that we bought for our move but don't normally use. Baby socks, and a cookbook. I'm going to add a blanket, and some mugs. I'm also going to give a baby walker that was given to us, i just cleaned it. All of these things were items already in the house. It didn't cost me any extra money to put together a box, just items i already had. Some of the baby outfits give me a slight pang but their need it far greater then ours, and i really enjoy buying baby clothes! I'd like to get a walmart gift card as well, because super walmart carries everything from groceries to lamps. That will allow them to fill in around the edges and buy things that matches their taste, to start over again. How sad.

No comments: