Saturday, December 29, 2007

We now continue our regularly scheduled ramblings

Sorry for the unplanned blogging break! we has some un-expected guests an ended up being insanely busy the last week. It was fun but I like a more mellow, less stressful Christmas. I don't feel like I had time to really soak in the holiday.

My very favorite Christmas present this year was a beautiful black and white bowl made by women in Africa. My mom gave it to me, along with some literature on what bowl making means to them. The steady source of income has really changed these women's lives. It allows them to buy mosquito netting that would otherwise be too expensive, send their children to school, buy fresh water, best of all instills a sense of pride in themselves and their children. I love how beautiful the bowl is, but i really love that it helped someone at the same time. Right now it smells faintly of grass. Every time I see it (or smell it) I smile and think about the woman who made the bowl.

No comments: