Monday, December 17, 2007

Ouch!!

Last night as I was typing my drug store purchases it occurred to me how very expensive everything is. If I had spent full price on those items it would have cost $150.09.

The only items I would consider 'frivolous' would be the candles. However I live in a house with 8 animals, that purchase is justified. What about the water filter? I don't consider that frivolous because my husband and I have had upset stomachs off and on since moving to our town a few years ago. When I researched the subject I found that it could be caused by a parasite in the water. So we're going to try it to see if it helps. I could have bought a cheaper model but DH requested the flavor style. He even told me I'm only to buy the packets for him when I find them on sale :) My hubby is becoming more frugal everyday. I could have passed on the make-up but everything was a good price. The lip gloss will go in my mom's stocking. The rechargeable batteries are for my dad's stocking. The dog bones are for my sanity (priceless, let me tell you) and all the cold stuff is for my husband. He has a touch of a cold.

Before deals I would have spent $150 yesterday. If you remove the candles and make-up at their full retail price the other less frivolous items would have cost $113.69. OUCH! My goodness things are so expensive. When I look back I don't understand how I afforded these things. Especially before I met my husband, i was a broke college student. I remember being very cautious about how much i used (even more so then today) and feeling frustrated that I was always buying these expensive items! I'm so glad I found rebate programs and coupons. Now not only do necessities cost us much less but I can afford to indulge myself and Dh for almost half of what the necessities would cost full price! After rebates and deals I spent $64.70, my frivolous items were $17.70 of that. Get on the coupon bandwagon people! :) Choo Choo!

No comments: