Saturday, January 17, 2009

My cash 'envelope'

Dh and I switched over to a cash budget January 1st. Its a work in progress and there have been a few kinks. One major kink was all the envelopes needed for the separate categories. They took up a bunch of space, we're messy and a bit embarrassing to pay out of! I casually looked for a wallet with a bunch of compartments but none seemed to work correctly. Dave Ramsey sells a wallet for $19. $19 is a HUGE chunk of our $70 spending budget. Sorry Dave but a $19 wallet is not my idea of frugal. Finally I remember my original coupon systems, a check file folder. It has 6 slots, comes with labels, light and pretty! PERFECT! Even better it cost $1, from Dollar tree!


Now I'm not going to kid you its still embaressing to pay with a plastic check folder but far less then an envelope labeled 'GROCERIES.' I dont mind being frugal but I dont like looking cheap. I'm going to continue to look for a wallet alternative, that doesn't cost a forture. It does make me chuckle to pull the money holder out of my Coach purse!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted you to know that I use the same thing for my cash system...works great and I love it!!

CupCake said...

Thats awesome! Great minds think alike. The only thing i dont like is change falls to the bottom. Might have to use a coin purse!